Oral Health Tips for Holiday Travel
Between the extra sugary treats that many of us tend to consume this time of year and the added stress of the holiday season, this is no time to put your oral health routine on pause! If you're traveling for the holidays, try these easy tips to keep your smile healthy through the new year:
- Pack smart. Make sure everyone has their own toothbrush packed. Sharing toothbrushes can spread cavity-causing bacteria, even among family members.1
- Use a toothbrush cap. Protect your toothbrush from germs with a travel toothbrush cap. Once you reach your destination, make sure to take the cap off because it can lock in moisture and create a breeding ground for germs.
- Carry a travel kit. When flying, bring a toothbrush, toothpaste, floss and a travel-size mouthwash in a carry-on bag. If your luggage gets lost, at least your oral health won't be compromised. 2
- Keep healthy snacks around. Pack healthy snacks such as veggies, nuts and string cheese. Avoid crackers and chips, which will stick to your teeth and feed cavity-causing bacteria.3
- Drink plenty of water. Drinking water rinses away bad breath-causing bacteria that sit at the back of your tongue. The bacteria in your mouth can also result in gum disease and other oral health issues if allowed to thrive.4
And, of course, keeping up with regular brushing and flossing is as important as ever! Don't let your oral health routine fall by the wayside just because your regular work and school schedules are disrupted.