Community Grant Program Philosophy and Guidelines
Delta Dental of Illinois Foundation is the charitable arm of Delta Dental of Illinois. In the past 10+ years, combined efforts of both organizations have provided more than $5 million to programs and organizations in Illinois that improve the oral health of the residents of Illinois. Charitable contributions to the Foundation support our priorities that include: Access to Oral Health Care, Student Excellence, and Oral Health Education and Awareness.
Community Grants Overview
Delta Dental of Illinois Foundation primarily focuses its grantmaking on programs and/or organizations targeting children that address many of the needs mentioned above. Our two key priority areas are:
- Oral Health Education and Awareness
- Access to Oral Health Care – specifically programs that also educate and inform
Organizations may apply for a one-year grant ranging from $1,000-$20,000. Organizations are allowed to reapply if they have already received a grant in a previous year. However, each year’s request is considered separately by the Grants Committee. Prior funding does not imply consecutive funding.
- Applications open: September 1 - October 1, 2022
- Community Grants Program Review Process: October
Site visits may be scheduled during this time period.
- Grants to be Awarded: November 2022
- Progress Report due with following year’s application if applying.
Grants Delta Dental of Illinois Foundation provides must be for the following:
- Program/project costs;
- Equipment and supplies related to the program/project;
- Salaries related to the program/project.
Organizations receiving funding must:
- Have physical presence in the state of Illinois and must benefit Illinois children;
- Be a public charity classified as exempt from federal income taxes under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code; or
- Be a public or governmental entity such as a public school or health department.
Generally, The Foundation gives preference to organizations and programs that:
- Address identified needs among underserved segments of the population.
- Build awareness and educate Illinois children on the connection between overall health and oral health;
- Are financially and operationally stable;
- Fulfill a unique or unduplicated need;
- Have a plan and process in place to measure and report outcomes.
- Have a new, innovative model that is providing successful outcomes and has potential to be replicated throughout the state.
Delta Dental of Illinois Foundation’s Community Grants Program will not award to the following:
- Organizations outside of Illinois that do not serve Illinois children
- Projects not related to oral health
- Bricks and Mortar
- Organizations/projects that do not benefit Illinois residents
- Individuals and Individual Treatment Costs
- Religious Programs or Activities
- Political Organizations, Groups or Campaigns
- Fundraising Events
- Before completing the application, please review Delta Dental of Illinois Foundation’s in-kind donation application process. We typically do not provide funding for toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss, and educational materials.
- If there is an organization providing the exact same program or service for the same population in the same region, please provide rationale.