Tuscan bean soup
Here’s a good way to warm up this winter: Try this delicious soup recipe. It’s not only satisfying, but it’s also packed full of good-for-your-teeth veggies like carrots, celery and spinach.
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium carrots, thickly sliced
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1 stalk celery, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
3 sprigs fresh oregano
¼ teaspoon salt
Black pepper to taste
2 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
4 cups baby spinach, stems removed
1. In a pot, heat olive oil.
2. Add carrots, onion, celery, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper to hot oil. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring often, until vegetables look softened.
3. On a plate, mash half of the beans, then add them to the vegetables. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
4. Add remaining beans to pot and stir well.
5. Stir in chicken or vegetable stock and bring to boil.
6. Lower heat, partially cover with lid and simmer for 20 minutes.
7. Discard oregano sprigs.
8. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
9. Mix in spinach and simmer for another 2 minutes.