Healthier blueberry muffins
You’ll never taste the difference, but these moist, fluffy muffins are healthier because they’re made with whole-wheat flour. And they’re loaded with tasty blueberries — an antioxidant superfood! The blueberries and whole-grain fiber both work to help fight gum disease.
- ½ cup lightly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups plus 1 tablespoon whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- ¼ cup melted and cooled unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Lightly coat a muffin tin with nonstick spray or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, mix brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and 2 cups flour.
- In a separate bowl, whisk milk, butter, eggs and vanilla.
- Make a well in the center of dry ingredients, add wet ingredients to the well, then stir until blended.
- Toss blueberries with the remaining tablespoon flour, then fold into batter.
- Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for 10 minutes.