What to expect when returning to the dentist
As COVID-19 restrictions are being lifted, many dental practices have reopened to help patients meet their oral health needs. While infection control was always a top priority, dental offices are now taking additional safety measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19, following state and national guidelines to help keep patients and staff healthy.
Here is what you may experience as you return to the dentist:
- Completing paperwork at home and submit electronically prior to the appointment
- Being asked to limit the number of people you bring with
- Dental staff asking if you have experienced any COVID-19 symptoms and taking your temperature
- Office staff wearing masks, face shields, gloves, gowns and goggles
- Being asked to wash your hands or use hand sanitizer prior to treatment
- To reduce aerosols, the hygienist may hand-polish your teeth versus ultrasonic cleaning
Please note that some dental offices charge an additional fee for personal protective equipment (PPE). Members who use a Delta Dental PPO or Delta Dental Premier network dentist are not responsible for this fee.
Questions about safety measure should be directed to your dentist’s office. Please remember to be patient with your dental office as they continue to learn how to best navigate this new way of providing care.
For more information on how to maintain good daily oral health habits, visit deltadentalil.com/oral-health.