7 Holiday Tips to Brighten Your Smile
This is the time of year to eat, drink and be merry with friends and family, but some holiday habits can be hard on your teeth. Follow these tips to help keep your smile merry and bright.
- Be cautious of candy canes. Though the minty treats are tasty, sucking on candy for a long period of time exposes your teeth to a lot of sugar.
- Watch the wine. Both red and white wine can stain your teeth, so consider drinking water between glasses to help rinse away residue.
- Take more turkey. This lean protein contains phosphorus, which is good for the connective tissue that supports your teeth.
- Pick produce. Veggies are full of smile-friendly nutrients, and most are crunchy, which makes you produce more saliva. Additionally, vegetables are filling, so snacking on them may prevent you from overdoing it on baked goods and other sugary snacks.
- Chomp on cheese. Cheese is packed with calcium and protein, so load up when you see cubes of cheddar and Swiss on the appetizer tray.
- Fill up on fruit. Satisfy your sweet tooth by scooping from the fruit bowl. Even chocolate-covered strawberries are a better choice than many desserts, since chocolate rinses off teeth easily.1
- Give up grazing. If you know you're going to indulge in a couple of sweets, don't graze on them between meals – eat them with or immediately after meals instead. Because the act of chewing makes you produce more saliva, the food debris will wash away faster instead of sticking around and doing harm to your teeth.2