Make Sure Employees Make the Most of Their Dental Benefits
Health care costs are continuing to rise, making it important for a company to make the most efficient use of every dollar it invests in its employee benefits program. Group dental benefits continue to remain very affordable, therefore it's imperative to make sure your employees know how to get the most value out of the dental benefit investment.
One word sums up why dental benefits work, and that word is prevention. It's important for employers to encourage their employees to visit the dentist since good dental care and good oral health is essential to overall health and well-being. The mouth is a key part of the body, and the good oral health habits that dental benefits promote can contribute to better systemic health. More than 90 percent of all systemic disease – including diabetes, leukemia, cancer, heart disease and kidney disease – has oral characteristics that can be detected by the dentist during an oral exam.
Consider these tips on how to keep your employees engaged in the dental benefits your company offers:
- • Give frequent reminders. Let employees know why visiting the dentist and taking care of their oral health is so important.
• Encourage employees to weigh in. Gather feedback on dental benefits from employees, listen to suggestions and ask for help in prioritizing options.
• Make sure to communicate new benefits or changes in benefits to employees.
• Take advantage of open enrollment. The open enrollment period creates the perfect time to communicate information about the company's dental benefits offering.
• Provide a cost savings worksheet that shows the differences between in- and out-of-network dental costs, which can help reinforce the importance of seeking care from an in-network dentist.